December 08, 2013

"Good mother lizard"

    Out of the many dinosaurs that my lovely 4 year old knows, one of her favorites is the Maiasaura. It's name means "good-mother lizard". Why? Because majority of the Maiasaura fossils have been found near their nests full of eggs along with older Maiasaura babies. Which means that it took care of it's young until they were old enough to fend for themselves. They were an herbivorous dinosaur that was about the size of a camping trailer (average size for a dinosaur).
  It constantly amazes me how much information we have about these incredible reptiles! And that we still know hardly anything at the same time. I think I have become as fascinated as my daughter has now...well maybe not.
   Anyway back to the Maiasaura. Out of all the dinosaurs, this is one they have been fortunate enough to discover many fossils of. They even found a whole herd of Maiasaur fossils that consisted of 10,000 individuals! Wow.
    I sincerely hope my daughter grows up and uses this knowledge and love of dinosaurs! We will do whatever it takes for her to accomplish her dream of becoming a paleontologist (If she still wants to in 15 years :)




No comments:

Post a Comment